Monday, November 28, 2011

Winter Doesn't Always Stink

We had a pretty fierce cold snap after Halloween that went on almost until Thanksgiving. We are talking -10 and snow EVERY NIGHT. Those words are capitalized because of the trauma I went throught shoveling my driveway EVERY MORNING at 7 am in the DARK and COLD. Apparently the scars run deeper than I realized.
Anyhoo, one morning in the middle of this winter mania, I was driving the boys to school and happened to look up. One half of the sky was completely filled with a pillowy bank of clouds, top to bottom, which were highlighted a delicious frosting pink by the rising sun. (Yes, frosting can be an adjective. Stop it, English majors!) The other half was clear, translucent blue. I had to will myself to pull over safely to take this picture, when I actually wanted to stop in the middle of the road and stare. This picture does not do it justice. Breathtaking.
Part of me felt relief that warmer weather was on its' way. A larger part of me knew, right then, that all of the cold, dark, and shoveling snow was worthwhile payment for this once in a lifetime sight. I was happy to pay it. Alaska's beauty far outweighs it's challenges.

2 comments:

  1. That is incredibly beautiful. Good job finding the silver lining and her's to warmer weather and not so much snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous site to see. I'm so happy to find that you've made a goal to blog regularly! You are a fantastic writer. Your humor really comes to life, I love feeling like you're telling me your stories face to face. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete